17 December 2009

Snow, snow and more snow, Thursday, 17 December

We awoke this morning to a totally white world. The snow had fallen and with the temperature well below zero, it covered everything. Quite lovely - but quite a problem. Buses were re-routed and people were slipping and sliding in the streets. This is what it looked like from our window.



Virginia decided discretion was the better part of valour and stayed in but I with all the confidence which stupidity breeds decided to go out and take some pictures. Just outside the door to our building a bicycle sat, cold and snow covered; epitomizing the day!



I staggered down to the Metro at Jules Joffrin, caught the train to Abbesses. That was the easy part. From there I had the walk to the funicular which would take me to the top of the butte. That was very slippery. But the funicular was running and I got up to the Place du Tertre which was covered in snow and made for some rather nice photos (see below).




Coming back I worked my way down the 190 or so steps to our street. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be since the steps had been sprinkled with ashes. Anyway, here is a view of our "corner" taken from the steps.



I made it back to the flat without having a major - or even a minor - accident and spent the rest of the afternoon, as did Virginia, reading and writing.

The Place du Tertre wasn't deserted, but considering the usual throngs there, it was pretty empty. Here are a couple more photographs from there.

One of our favourite restaurants - but not a day to eat outside


We did make it to the Cafe Francoeur to do our internet stuff but can assure you we are no longer dreaming of a white Christmas. It seems to have already arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment